Fengxian means “worshiping the sage” in Chinese. This name was bestowed on the area by a student of Confucius called Yan Yan who had once taught the local people. The district has been home to mankind for five thousand years.
The district was first ruled by the Wu and Yue Kingdoms, and then governed by the Chu Dynasty during the Spring and Autumn Period (770 BC–221 BC). It then belonged to Hai Yan County in the Qin, Han, Jin, Song and Qi Dynasties during the Southern Dynasties period (221 BC–AD 502), and belonged to Qianjing County in the Lang and Chen Dynasties during the later Southern Dynasties period (502-589).
Qianjing County merged with Changshu County from 589 to 598 during the Sui Dynasty and was later separated from its southeast region that was absorbed into the Kun Mountain County. The Haiyan County was governed by Suzhou and then by Wujun since 711 during the Tang Dynasty, which in turn governed Fengxian in early Qing Dynasty since 751.
In 1726, during the Qing Dynasty, Baisha, Yunjian Village in the southeast of former Huating County was governed by Fengxian County.
The third zone of the Jiangsu Province Office of the Chief Inspector ruled it during the Republic of China (1911-1949). In the winter of 1933, fifteen villages of Nanhui County were merged to Fengxian County and renamed Binpu.
After liberation, Fengxian belonged to the Songjiang Zone, administrative office of southern Jiangsu Province, and was later governed by Songjiang Zone, administrative office of Jiangsu Province since 1952. In March 1958, the Songjiang Zone was revoked, so the Suzhou Zone ruled Fengxian for a short period. In September 1958, Fengxian County was transferred to Shanghai and eventually became Fengxian District on August 24, 2001.
The history of human civilization in Fengxian can be traced back to five thousand years ago, according to the Jianghai Liangzhu cultural relics unearthed there. The district’s subsequent ancestors have left countless precious historical and cultural structures.
For example, Tongjin Bridge in the Song Dynasty, Wanfo Pavilion in the Ming Dynasty, Peonies at Wu Bridge, Shitang in the east of Huating that in the Qing Dynasty was made famous by the saying “the Great Wall in the north, and Shitang in east Huating in the south,” as well as cultural areas like Zhuangxin Old Street and the Monument of Martyrs commemorating the peasant uprising.